Friday, January 21, 2011

21/365 - primary/secondary

January 21, 2011
Decided to take some "real" paint colors to school today. We don't just have... plain red/blue/yellow/white/black, so I took in some bottles I hadn't opened yet. I'm keeping them in my teacher bag of course, because otherwise I'd go in Monday and somehow the entire bottles would be empty. On a plate. Or on one picture. Next to an empty bottle of glue. That I just filled up yesterday.
I'm all about encouraging creativity and letting them do all kinds of arts and crafts... but some of the kids are like, "Miss Becky, I need to glue this" and I look and they literally have one piece of paper infront of them. They just want to... glue the piece of paper to itself. Over and over again.
Or, "Miss Becky, I need to cut this" and it's a piece of string. Being cut into a million pieces.

This sounds trivial, but I swear it drives me up a wall. And I hate paper airplanes being made out of expensive construction paper. Am I this anal?
Yeah, I am.

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought - sound like the kids might need some textural free time with something NOT expensive, like clay, sand, dirt, some of that weird cornstarch and water goop, etc. Maybe once they have their need for manipulation of medium out of their system, they will be able to use the more specific materials appropriately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT idea... I've done the goop before, I'll post photos.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...